Here is the latest news from my corner of the art world..
I am happy to announce that I will be the Awards Juror for the Richeson75 "Online Still Life & Floral" contest. Click HERE for the announcement. More information at Richeson75.com
A selection of my watercolors will be featured during a show by the Southside Gallery in Oxford, Missippi. This will be my fourth exhibit at the Southside Gallery. The works will be on exhibit at Southside from October 30 – November 24, 2012. An Artists’ Reception is scheduled for Thursday, November 8, 6:30 – 8:30 PM. For more information contact Southside Gallery, (662) 234-9090 or southsideartgallery.com online.
I am the featured artist in the Daniel Smith Fall 2012 Catalog. The cover of the catalog shows one of my paintings titled "Ride a Rocket" (PDF), and on the inside there is an informative article titled "The Process of Creating - Magnolia with Silver and Crystal” (PDF). The article outlines my step-by-step process for creating one of my intricate still-lifes, and there is a custom selection of Daniel Smith watercolors and brushes available.
I've recently been featured in the October 2012 issue of Watercolor Artist Magazine. Click Here (PDF) to view a two page spread that explains my use of field sketches to capture travels and ideas.
I am pleased to announce that the Greenberg Fine Art Gallery, 205 Canyon Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico is now representing my paintings. The next time you are in Santa Fe please stop by and see what he has on view. I am delighted to have my work in this well-known and respected gallery.
I am also pleased to report that over the past 10 months I have had the following paintings accepted in juried shows and they have won the following awards:
- Mississippi Watercolor Society – Members Show - Best of Show – Reflections in Pewter
- Mississippi Society Grand National – Honorable Mention – Banana Split Dish Plus
- Tennessee Watercolor Society 33rd Exhibition – Totally Transparent Award – Tools of the Trade
- Tennessee Watercolor Society 33rd Exhibition – Region III Award – Acadia, Rocks and Waves
- Louisiana Watercolor Society – 42nd International Exhibition – Honorable Mention – Gravy Zebra
- Watercolor Art Society - Houston – 35th International Exhibition – Honorable Mention – Ride A Rocket
- Society of Watercolor Artist – Fort Worth – 2012 International Juried Exhibition – Third Prize –Banana Split Dish Plus
- Richeson 75 – Small Works Competition 2012 – Second Prize, Watermedia – 3 Standing Pears
- Southern Watercolor Society – 35th Annual Exhibition - Salis International award
PUBLISHED: A Chinese languate book titled Inspirations & Technical Breakthroughs, Secrets from the Contemporary International Watercolor Masters Volume I, by Zhou Tianya and Ruan Hoe, has been published by Jilin Fine Arts Press (A media of Jilin Publishing Group), in Changchun, Northeast China in April of 2012.
"It is the first of its kind in China, which solely introduces outstanding contemporary American watercolorists. The volume features nine masters, who are Laurin McCracken, Frank Webb, Carla O'Connor, Mark Mehaffey, Steve Rogers, John Salminen, Paul Jackson, Judy Morris, Henry Casselli, candidly discussing their inspirations, generously sharing their creative processes, and show-casing their exemplary work with Chinese readers." I greatly appreciate Zhou Tianya and Dr. Hoe for including me in this book. I am in great company. To see the Full Press Release, plese follow these links:
ARTICLES: We have consolidated all the articles and links to articles about my art onto the revised Awards & in-Print page. So if you are looking for the article called “Grappling with Grays” about how I paint sliver and crystal that is where it can be found. All the other articles such as the one that has a lot of detailed step by step photos of how I painted the pewter still life, it is also there. There are more articles in the "Awards & in-Print Archive".
All the best,