Don't forget to take a look at the many articles that are in the inPrint & Awards Archive.
- I'm featured in the October 2012 issue of Watercolor Artist Magazine. Click Here (PDF) to view a two page spread that explains my use of field sketches to capture travels and ideas.
- April 2011: Watercolor Artist - Watercolor Essentials: Grappling with Grays - The article is about how to mix and use Grays. It includes a demo if how to paint realistic clouds in watercolor. If you have questions, shoot me an email. I encourage you to purchase the issue and to subscribe to this first rate magazine. Kelly Kane, Editor in Chief and her staff do a terrific job to educate and inform the watercolor community.
- April 2011: Artist's Magazine - Watercolor Silver Still Life | A Demo "In the April 2011 issue of Watercolor Artist, Laurin McCracken shares his favorite recipes for grays and shows you how to use them to best effect in a number of different still life and landscape paintings. He also demonstrates step by step how to paint realistic watercolor clouds in 10 simple steps. Here, he demonstrates his process for painting one of his signature silver still lifes."
- I'm featured in the November 2011 issue of The Artist’s Magazine - You can order the magazine online via print version or digital download. You can also find hard copies in book stores, like Barnes & Noble, in the Magazine section. I wrote the Drawing Board column on page 66, “Build” a Better Building. It is the second of two articles I have written for the magazine about using perspective and painting buildings. I am also included in the article “Tools that are Tried-and-True” on page 58.
- October/November 2011 issue of International Artist Magazine - I had a 16 page article on my work, starting on page. 82. Click here to view the article (PDF). It is a detailed article explaining how I painted ”Reflections in Pewter”.
- The French watercolor quarterly magazine, L'Art de l'Aquarelle, has included a small article about my watercolors in its issue #10, September-November 2011. For those of you whose French is better than mine, here is a PDF of the article.
- Check out the article "Get the Right Perspective" featuring my work in the June 2011 issue of The Artist's Magazine. Click here to view the cover (PDF) - Click here for digital download of this issue from Artists Network!
- March, 2011: As a Lagniappe, there is also an on-line demo of how I painted one of my silver and crystal paintings ArtistsNetwork.com/article/silver-watercolor-demo. Also, check out the last page of the magazine.
- April 2011: “Watercolor Essentials” - Watercolor Artist - “For many, gray is a distant afterthought, a non-color to be pulled in only when necessary. In truth, a good mix of grays should be an important component of every artist’s toolkit."
- January / February 2011: Delta Magazine - Real Life Reflections - “Not every painter can see things uniquely, but it is imperative that a painter see things differently and with a certain degree of clarity that the average eye might not see.."
- November 2010: Southwest Art Magazine, "Catching the Light" - "..McCracken’s long career in architecture and marketing gave him much more than a chance to experience original art around the world. It honed his already detail-oriented mind, trained him in drafting and photography, and was responsible for taking him to a place where he met the perfect watercolor instructor."
My paintings have been recognized with the following Awards:
- Best of Show - Mississippi Watercolor Society Members Show 2011
- Finalist – Richeson 75 – Animals, Birds and Wildlife 2011
- Dr. Donald and Helen Budd Burness Memorial Award - the Adirondacks National Exhibition of American Watercolors, Old Forge, NY, for “Delta Sky”
- Second Prize - Keystone National 2011: Juried Exhibition of Works on Paper, Art Center School and Galleries, Mechanicsburg, PA, for “Yellow Pears on Foil.”
- Pearl Appleby Memorial Award – Watercolor USA 2011, for “Apples and Pear on Foil”
- Honorable Mention – Mississippi Watercolor Society Grand Ntl. Watercolor Exhibition 2011, for “Banana Split Dish Plus”
- I am pleased to report that I have been accepted as a member of the Watercolor Honor Society. I look forward to participation in their activities, especially their international programs in Japan and other international locations.
2008 - 2009
- The Kent Day Memorial Award – Allied Artist of America, 2010
- Artists Magazine 2010 Art Competition - Finalist
- Purchase Award – Tennessee Watercolor Society’s 32nd Biennial Exhibition, 2010
- Pleiades Gallery - New York, 2010 - Juried Show
- Paint America Top 100 – Top Still Life Award, 2010
- Vivian Chevillon Award - Transparent Watercolor Society Show, 2010
- Laurin's painting "Williamsburg Soldiers" a finalist for the cover contest in the Summer 2009 issue of American Artist Watercolor magazine - Click Here to View (PDF)
- Visual Abundance garnered the First Prize in this year’s Members Show of the Society of Watercolor Artist of Fort Worth. I was pleased to give a presentation on how to Market Your Art to this group on December 8. I had given the same presentation to the Louisiana Watercolor Society several months ago.
- My painting Silver & Crystal with Magnolia was accepted in the recent international show of the Allied Artists of America where it was awarded The Kent Day Coe Memorial Award for Watercolor. This is first time I have been in this show. I am pleased to have been included in a show that includes a wide range of media, www.alliedartistsofamerica.org.
- 11th Annual Faces International Juried Online Art Exhibition - March 2009 - Feb 2010 - www.UpstreamPeopleGallery.com
- Three paintings have been accepted in the Richeson 75: Still Life and Floral Competition: Water Media 2009. One of those, Peony - Explosion won Second Prize
- My painting, Plymouth Silver won the Board of Directors Award at the Watercolor Missouri National 2009.
- Three paintings were accepted in the Richeson 75: Figure/Portrait 2009 Competition: Watermedia. One of the Cowboy with Red Kerchief can be seen on their website.
- Rooftops – New York won the Annual Membership Award in The Society of Watercolor Artists, Inc, 28th Annual Juried Exhibition 2009, Fort Worth, TX.
- Due to the high quality of craftmanship, compotion and creativity in noted works such as "Bicycles Amsterdam", "Tiger Lilies" and "Three Halves and a Quarter"; Laurin has been chosen recently to be a Juried Member of The International Guild of Realism. He is looking forward to the juried gallery exhibition later this year, and participating in invitational Realism exhibitions and other art projects coming soon. www.realismguild.com
- Laurin's painting "Williamsburg Soldiers" a finalist for the cover contest in the Summer 2009 issue of American Artist Watercolor - Click Here to View (PDF)
- Keukenhof Tulip garnered the Binders Art Supplies & Frames Award, 2009 Georgia Watercolor Society – National Exhibition.
- "Bicycles - Amsterdam" was a finalist in the competition for the Hunting Art Prize, Houston, TX
- I have been informed that my painting, Silver and Crystal with Magnolia is a Finalist in International Magazine’s Floral and Still Life Competition. Look for it in their November-December issue.
- Richeson75: Still Life & Floral '08 Competition, Second Place: "Stuart Still Life" - "The hallmarks of this work are the technical staff and arrangements of positive and negative shapes. The surface and color contrasts between the crystal, the silver and fruit bring out a strong visual diversity."
- Janet Milford Memorial Award, Watercolor West 40th Annual Exhibition - for painting "Bicycles - Amsterdam"
- On display at the Brea Gallery - October 12 - December 19, 2008
- Beauty in Watermedia Award, (The Show’s 2nd Prize) - June 2008 - 31st Tennessee Watercolor Society Biennial Exhibition
- Hardie Gramatky Memorial Award - 137th Annual International Exhibition of the American Watercolor Society